We are looking for a Front-End Developer specialized on WordPress with a strong focus on performance and technical SEO.
- Responsible for managing and optimizing Compare.com’s CMS website (WordPress), ensuring a best-in-class technical performance, from page speed to information architecture following Google’s best practices.
- Understand how the different parts of the website interact with each other to define and/or execute testing plans before deploying changes to live environments.
- Identify opportunities to improve Conversion Rates through User Research and AB Testing.
- As part of the SEO team, assist in the development and execution of our broader SEO strategy, including but not limited to the implementation of new templates, plugins and tools for our customers.
- Responsible for designing, implementing, and monitoring AB tests to increase conversion rate in both CMS (WordPress) and quote form (Angular) using 3rd party tools such as VWO.
- Work closely with the IT team and assist with Front-End development needs for our Angular-based web app.
- Be a holistic SEO practitioner, understand how technical SEO and conversion rate optimization play a role in our broader SEO strategy.
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience developing WordPress templates and plugins.
- Strong understanding of crawling, indexing & web performance.
- Strong understanding and experience working on On-Page SEO projects.
- Strong understanding of Page Speed and Core Web Vitals (web.dev/vitals).
- Experience working with QA teams and assisting with the creation of testing plans.
- Experience with meta tagging and structured and SERP features.
- Knowledge of SASS, Pug, Gulp & related design technologies.
- Solid experience with DataLayer and Google Tag Manager.
- Desired experience with AB / MVT testing tools.
- Team player, willing to go the extra mile to meet deadlines and help coworkers.
- Able to multi-task and switch gears quickly while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Experience working with outside vendors and agencies to make sure marketing goals are being accomplished.
- Analytical mindset.
- Excellent communication and decision-making skills
- Bring great ideas and innovative thinking to bear across the business based on their deep experience.
- Strong relationship building skills and experience working with colleagues and partners at all levels.
- Ability to take initiative to create and improve processes.
Tech & Tools
Advanced WordPress backend development.
Advanced Google Tag Manager and Google Analytics tracking.
- Pantheon, WPEngine or similar webops platforms.
- Design / UX experience desired.
Compare.com is a website which helps consumers save time and money by easily comparing dozens of car insurance options in real time. We compare more quotes than anyone else in the market thanks to our 65+ direct integrations with insurance companies that provide accurate rates in real time. We are proud of providing a service that saves our customers $720 a year on car insurance on average.
Over the years we got to know our customers better and we are ready to expand our product offering to help them save time and money beyond car insurance.
The Person & The Culture
So, what’s it like to be an employee of Compare.com? At Compare.com, every day is different, and we are different, maybe even a bit counterculture. Flexibility is key, as we plan for long-term but adjust continuously. We firmly and wholeheartedly believe that people who like what they do, do it better and we go out of our way to ensure that coming to work is enjoyable. Doing the job and doing it well is the key no matter who you are. At Compare.com we are a team, we work as a team and if we fall, we fall as a team and lean on each other to pick us up. Effective interaction with the team is required, as is challenging each other’s ideas to come to the best possible solution. We are looking for someone who comes with strong problem-solving skills and a wealth of good ideas on their own, but also recognizes the inherent creativity in all of us and accepts willingly that the next great idea may not be their own genesis.
Compare.com offers an honest and open culture and every member of our staff is treated as an equal. Achievement is recognized and rewarded, but most of all coming to work is fun. We work hard to produce high quality work but we like to play as well. These days that involves more Slack trivia, Drawasaurus and Zoom cooking classes together than it does ping pong and happy hours. Our office is 100% virtual WFH through mid-2021 at which point we look forward to getting back together in person more often in an office setting in Richmond, VA.